What a country! We have been really surprised by the variety of things on offer in Malawi and the friendliness of everyone we have met. “Hello, how are you?” is genuinely asked by all around you – such a welcoming country but also desperately poor in many respects. Of the things we experienced in Malawi this November, these would be my top ten – in no particular order:
- Staring into the vast landscape & reading a book next to a tranquil stream in the Mulanje Massif – the “Island in the Sky”
- Hiking through the tea plantations in Mulanje
- Sunset cruise on a catamaran with Kayak Africa in Cape Maclear
- Seeing the elusive eland & trout fishing in the dams of Nyika National Park
- Snorkelling and having a private fresh fish lunch on the island beach off Cape Maclear
- Drinking Mzuzu Coffee in Mzuzu Coffee Den (with their banana cake)
- Watching the full moon over Lake Malawi from Mushroom Farm
- Watching crocodiles, hippos and birds from the boat with our guide McCloud on the Shire River in Liwonde National Park
- Trying the range of homegrown meals & chocolate brownies at Ama Khofi café in Lilongwe.
- Campsites: Mushroom Farm, Chelinda Camp, Malambe Camp, Mvuu Camp, Mebuya Camp
We loved Malawi – we will be back soon!